It’s been a great pleasure to help facilitate the formation of the very dynamic volunteer Bridgwater Lakes Neighbourhood Association (BLNA) four years ago and to be working with residents on so many issues and projects to make our neighbourhood stronger, safer, and a great place to live, work and play! Here is a high level overview of our key accomplishments these past four years.
- Facilitated formation of Bridgwater Lakes Residents Group
- Expanded new transit route into community
- Secured land, initial funding & planning underway to construct recreation campus in South West Winnipeg
- Collaborated with BLNA to provided strong advocacy for the construction of TWO new schools (elementary and high school)
- Initiated installation of Trailhead Community News Board by fountain
- Providing ongoing local community funding, support and promotion of community building events (Food Truck Fridays / Family Fund Day / Spring Clean Ups / etc.)
- Facilitated annual installation of winter skating rink at Sablewood & Bridge Lake Drive
- Stimulated review & accountability of fountain operations & maintenance responsibilities
- Hosted variety of educational forums on maintenance issues, Brady Resource Management Centre, safety & crime prevention, composting, etc.
Further details of these accomplishments and other activities I’ve been working on in Bridgwater Lakes can be found at: http://janicelukes.ca/your-neighbourhood/bridgwater-lakes/
These are key issues and projects in Bridgwater Lakes that I believe we should be focusing on going forward:
- Bridgwater Lakes parks & greenspace maintenance is currently still the responsibility of the developer, but we must ensure a high standard of maintenance when the handoff to the City occurs
- Traffic calming locations have been identified & devices need to be installed in 2019
- Ensuring ongoing proactive ‘Safety & Crime Prevention’ education opportunities
- Optimizing transit access to new Rapid Transit corridor
- Constructing a new recreation facility in Waverley West Neighbourhood B
- Planning & constructing a Fire Hall to service Waverley West neighbourhoods
- Providing ongoing local community funding, support and promotion of community building events
PLEASE fill out the survey on this page and tell me what ISSUES or PROJECTS in Bridgwater Lakes YOU want to see ACTION on in next four years. I will provide a summary of submissions and what I’ve heard ‘at the door’ for you to review in early October.
Bridgwater Lakes Neighbourhood Association
Thank you to the volunteers and residents who run the Bridgwater Lakes Neighbourhood Association!