Waverley Heights is one of the older neighbourhoods in the Waverley West ward. Although we do not have a formal volunteer residents group in the neighbourhood, I’ve been working with very engaged residents on multiple issues and projects over the past four years.
- Secured land, initial funding & planning underway to construct recreation campus in South West Winnipeg
- Improving the surfacing and shoulders of Bison Road at Waverley
- Initiating a safety study and traffic improvements to the Bison Road / Waverley intersection
- Development of new Tennis Courts and new Soccer Field at Martha Call Park beside Bonneycastle School
- Upgrading of Swan Lake Pathway system (summer 2018)
- Developing a Waverley Heights Road & Sidewalk renewal prioritization plan
- Extensive investments in the South Winnipeg Community Centre, located in Waverley Heights neighbourhood
Further details of these accomplishments and other activities I’ve been working on in Waverley Heights can be found at: http://janicelukes.ca/your-neighbourhood/waverley-heights/
These are key issues and projects in Waverly Heights that I believe we should be focusing on going forward:
- Upgrading roads and sidewalks
- Continuing to focus on traffic issues in Waverley Heights. Until Bison Dr. connects to Kenaston Blvd, there will be vehicles using the neighbourhood as a ‘cut through’ to Pembina Hwy.
- Increasing rooming house enforcement & educating landlords on bylaws related to rooming houses
- Ensuring ongoing proactive ‘Safety & Crime Prevention’ education opportunities
- Optimizing transit access to new Rapid Transit corridor
- Constructing a new recreation facility in Waverley West Neighbourhood B
PLEASE fill out the survey on this page and tell me what ISSUES or PROJECTS in Waverley Heights YOU want to see ACTION on in next four years. I will provide a summary of submissions and what I’ve heard ‘at the door’ for you to review in early October.